Sunday, September 26, 2010
Vollkornbrot: I'll see your whole grains and raise you two groats
So I got Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day
in the mail last week, and the recipes look awesome. I'm a fan of German bread, so I decided to start off with Vollkornbrot. That's german for whole grain bread, and they are not kidding. I normally grind my own wheat flour and call that whole grain, but this stuff has two cups of wheat and rye groats. Not ground, rolled, flaked or cut: just whole berries. According to the recipe it's hard to find whole rye so they recommend using rye flakes, but luckily I've got few pounds of rye left over from my low-gluten bread attempts back in the day. I can't possibly explain how excited I am to try this bread. It looks so delicious sitting there rising. Plus I like that this recipe uses molasses instead of honey -- I think that will go better with the sour flavor that goes along with the "five minutes" style of baking. Unfortunately I've got to wait at least a day before I can bake it though so the whole grains can soak up some moisture, but it looks like I may finally succeed at baking some good German-style bread. I'll have to let you know how it turns out.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment