Friday, January 13, 2006

I hate computers

I wonder if there's some way I could go the rest of my life without using a computer again. Safari started crashing a few days ago inside InitWarholResFileOnce. It seemed to happen when I was on a page with Flash, so I tried installing the new Flash player. Now all my browsers (Camino, Firefox, and Safari) said they couldn't load the Flash plugin. I've tried reinstalling and uninstalling to no avail. So now I can't view Flash. Suck #1.

Suck #2: Safari still randomly crashes.

Suck #3: Quicksilver updated itself and then quit working around the same time.

Suck #4: I got an email today that causes Mail to crash in the same way.

Suck #5: I somehow managed to get that email saved as the selected one, so now Mail crashes instantly when I start it. I guess it's time to forward my UCSD email to Gmail.

So, basically I'm sick of this crap. I bought a Mac because I didn't want to deal with these problems. I have applecare, but somehow I don't think the geniuses at the genius bar will be too helpful.

Note: While writing this email I looked inside the Console to find the Safari crash log, and found out that somehow a DivX quicktime component had been installed and was constantly crashing. I deleted it, and now Mail works. The only way I can figure this happened is when I installed Flip4Mac (the WMV quicktime component). That'll teach me for installing MS software on my Mac. Although I am disapointed that a bad Quicktime plugin can cause so many problems.

Actually that didn't solve the problem. The culprit was actually Quicktime 7.0.4. Apple posted a reinstaller for Quicktime 7.0.1 which solved all my problems. Well, actually I don't know if Quicksilver was fixed by the Quicktime downgrade or if it was because Quicksilver upgraded itself when I rebooted.

No comments: